Sunday, April 1, 2012

Changing a Negative to a Positive

Today is April 1st, April Fool's Day, and for the last eleven years it has been a somber anniversary for myself, Carla and our family. In 2001 in the early morning of April 1st my grandfather passed away from multiple terminal conditions. He had a great influence on me growing up, he took me on rides and drives to see scenes of nature, let me bottle feed calves and truly loved all natural wonders and animals. Lessons he taught my father, my father and him taught me, and has led me down the path where I spend so much time in the company of and working with non-human animals. Although he had been the old man since I can remember, often disappearing to bedrooms for naps at family gatherings his death had a profound impact on my families dynamic.

This April 1st, the 11th anniversary of his death. Gopher, Carla, and our youngest Squirrel changed the somber mood this day has always brought to our home. It was Squirrel's first official therapy visit. Carla and Squirrel, Gopher and myself went together, as two separate teams, but as a family. Gopher and Squirrel can now claim April 1st 2013, not just as the 12th anniversary of the death of my grandfather, but as the one year anniversary of Team Brothers Rodent 1st therapy visit. The memory of the death of my grandfather will never fade, but now this day has a positive anniversary as well.

Team Brothers Rodent Therapy Debut!!

Welcome team Squirrel and Carla!!

No comments:

Post a Comment